There are a vast amount of wood species that populate the earth, from softwoods to hardwoods. Each type of wood has its own attributes such as color, density and grain. With all these possibilities it is important to pick the right type for your piece of furniture.
The reason you want to pick the correct type is that it will determine the price. It will also determine in the future whether the piece can be resold, restored or thrown away.
When it comes to Sawn Wood (wood cut from Logs) Canada is the biggest exporter, doubling Russia which currently holds second place.
- Hardwood takes longer to grow and is normally a more expensive material.
- Hardwood has a close grain which makes it low maintenance and durable.
- It is fire resistant due to low sap content.
- Can be used for furniture although not all are ideal.
Some Examples of Hardwoods are:
- Red Oak
- Softwood has less vessels in it which allows it to absorb adhesives more quickly, resulting in a better finish.
- More commonly used in structural frames .
- Low fire resistance.
- the fine and lightweight structure makes it ideal for wood furniture
Some Examples of softwood include:
- Parana Pine
- White Spruce
- Red Cedar
The best wood for furniture:
White Oak is a beautiful choice, as it is heavy and durable. This makes it ideal for cabinetry and kitchen furniture. Click the image below to see our white oak shelves.
Maple is one of the hardest woods making it ideal for dressers and kitchen cabinets. Click the image below to see our Ambrosia Maple dining table.
Walnut is known for its beauty. Due to its ability to be carved to make more ornate pieces. An oil finish is a great choice as it can bring out natural color. Click the image below to see our Walnut table.
Cherry is one of the best wood you can get for indoor furniture. This is due to its durability, resistance to decay and abrasions. Click the image below to see our mid century plant Stand available in Cherry.